Have You Tried Oil Pulling
Oil Pulling is not an easy task, but can be very beneficial for those who choose to do it. It is a wonderful supplemental therapy that helps remove the toxins that linger within your oral cavity. Oil pulling works by swishing one or two tablespoons of coconut oil between your teeth around your mouth for about 15- 20 minutes. Its called oil pulling because are you are swishing it between your teeth, you are pulling out all the toxins from your gums and out of all the little crevices in your mouth. When you finish swishing it’s important to spit out all of the solution into the trash because it can clog your drains.
Oil pulling is a great oral therapy because it’s a natural product with no chemicals or preservatives; it helps reduce plaque related gingivitis as well as decrease halitosis. When used daily it decrease the cavity causing bacteria in your mouth, which in turn helps prevent cavities from forming or growing. Oil pulling can also help remove the stubborn taste or bad breath from things like garlic or onions. They sell individual flavored oil pulling packets on Amazon that you can keep in your purse. Refined coconut oil is the most popular and the best oil to use because 50% of the fat in coconut oil is comprised of the bacteria fighting ingredient lauric acid (1). Lauric acid is known for its antimicrobial actions which inhibit Strep mutants, which are the primary bacteria that cause tooth decay (1).
For those who have considered oil pulling I would encourage you to try it. Swishing while in the shower is a great way to pass the time quickly. It is a safe and cost effective way to help decrease the bacteria in all crevices in your mouth naturally. I have noticed a healthy difference in the oral mucosa of my patients who have started oil pulling on a regular basis.
If you do choose to start oil pulling please follow these guidelines:
· Swish gently- if your jaw or cheeks get tired within the first 5 minutes you may be swishing to vigorously, so slow down.
· Do not swallow the oil while swishing
· Once you finish swishing, spit oil into trash. -You do not want to spit into toilet or sink because over time it could clog your pipes.
· Do not drink anything before oil pulling.- Rinse well with water after and before consuming a beverage.
· Best to do 1st thing in the morning on an empty stomach and brush your teeth immediately after rinsing with water.